Oh the comfort--
the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person--
having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words,
but pouring them all right out,
just as they are,
chaff and grain together,
certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them,
keep what is worth keeping,
and with the breath of kindness blow the rest away.

"Friendship" by M. M. Craik

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Old Year

 I love this poem. Love it.  It's like a prayer to end the old year, asking the Lord forgiveness for our wrongs, and for help in the new year to walk a better path.  A New Year's resolution in a poem. Just lovely.


I want to close the old year, Lord--
All finished like a book;
Turn eyes from smudged and dog-eared page,
Bar any backward look.

There are some scores I marked to pay--
Some large--and some are small;
The grief they caused--I'm sorry, now,
Forgive me for them all.

Then place a new book in my hand,
New pages I can read;
And give me from it deeds to do,
And thoughts of other's need.

And when its pages I must close,
Pray let there be no grief;
But let my hands turn happily
The new book's last clean leaf.
                      ~Clara Hood Rugel

No comments:

Post a Comment