Oh the comfort--
the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person--
having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words,
but pouring them all right out,
just as they are,
chaff and grain together,
certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them,
keep what is worth keeping,
and with the breath of kindness blow the rest away.

"Friendship" by M. M. Craik

Saturday, December 15, 2012

A Prayer

Our last home was in a Connecticut suburb just down the road from Newtown where the devastating school shooting occurred yesterday.  We lived there for 15 years, the longest time I've ever lived in one place, and my kids consider it their "hometown."  So the news of the shooting was particularly disturbing for us.  I was an elementary school teacher for many years; I can visualize the students' and teachers' terror. As a mom, I can't even begin to imagine the pain of the parents. 
 
I'd like to offer a prayer I found in Florence's journal today.  Grace Noll Crowell was an American poet and was named the Texas Poet Laureate in 1936.  Her poetry is simple, but very rich at the same time.   
 
 

A Pilgrim's Prayer

So long I have been guarded by your power
Up many a tangled path and stony hill
And now, dear Lord, through this strange darkened hour
Be with me still.

Be with me for the way is long and lonely
I am bewildered and I cannot see
But, Lord,  I shall not be afraid, if only
You walk with me.

If only I can some way keep recalling
The darkened roads I traveled in the past
How, after You long guarded me from falling
Light shown at last.
         ~Grace Noll Crowell

No comments:

Post a Comment